Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Heart Beat

The day I graduated from college
The day I made love for the first time
The day I proposed
The day I married my wife
These have been my most defining moments thus far. Today I had a moment that not only defined me as a man, but defined me as a father. Today was the day I heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time.
At 8:15am this morning my wife and I had our 3rd sonogram and this time instead of just a flickering light, we could actually hear this amazing fast and strong heartbeat. I was watching this amazing creature with it's developing arms, legs, eyes, and most of all the sound of this beating beautiful heart. At this moment I looked into my wife's eyes, and in their reflection it was the first time I saw myself as a father. This heartbeat represented a personality that I will help develop. This heartbeat will support the laughter that I will help create. This heartbeat represented a love so strong that only my wife and I could have created. This heartbeat represented a love that I have never felt before in my entire life...this was a love a father could only have for his child.
I have had so many defining moments in my life that have contributed towards me becoming a good man.
Today at 8:15 am I had my first defining moment as not just a man, but as a father. It was the moment I heard my baby's beautiful heart beating...a BABY that was created with the love of a man and a women, but a life that will flourish with the LOVE of a mommy and DADDY.

1 comment:

  1. This post touched my heart more that you could ever know. As the mother of 2 wonderful little girls I understand perfectly. You are a rare man. Just always keep this post close to your heart because it can help make a bad time tolerable, happy moments happier, and help heal hurts. Gob bless and Congrats!! Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete